Pages

Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Cogs-a-Million {CD96}

Happy hump day friends!  It's the middle of the week and that means it's time for another one of Riley's fabulous color combinations at The Color Dare!  This week she is challenging us with
CD96 
Garden Green 
Bashful Blue 
Peach Parfait
Fun colors, eh?  I've been making lots of cards with hearts and flowers so I decided these colors lent themselves to a masculine card--something I haven't made in awhile!  
I feel as if I cheated a little by using some retired DSP, Travel Journal, as it had all the challenge colors.  Love how our DSP coordinates with our ink and cardstock making it so easy to pull off a coordinated look.  Actually, this DSP uses Pumpkin Pie but on the piece I chose, it's faint enough that it works with my Peach Parfait gears!  First, I stamped the Sanded background stamp in Crumb Cake on my card base.  I used the Spiral Border punch to make a Garden Green border and bent it around a little for a distressed accent. Once I attached the paper to the card, I wrapped the whole thing with some Peapod baker's twine from The Twinery.  Love this stuff--it adds just the right amount of texture and isn't too girlie.
Then it was onto the gears!  Using the Cogs XL punch, I cut out some gears in Bashful Blue, Peach Parfait and Garden Green using both sizes on the gear punch.  Next, I had fun layering all my gears and arranging them in a pattern--this part always takes the longest for me.  Somehow "random" just doesn't work with my detail-obsessed brain!  Anyway, I like the end result and for a little pop of "chrome", I added these fun silver dots that came from my local craft store.  I like how they add to the feel of the gears.
The bold collection of sentiments in Word Play was the perfect Garden Green touch for this card.  I added some accents to the inside but left plenty of room for a handwritten note.
I hope you like it!  Now, pop on over to the rest of the design team to see their take on this week's colors.  Then stop by The Color Dare blog and link up your creation.  You've got until midnight next Tuesday, February 15th to show us your stuff!  Thanks for stopping by and have a great day!

8 comments:

Marisa said...

This is too cute, Nance!! Love the cogs and what a fabulous masculine card indeed :) Well done!

Linda Callahan said...

Great card! And showing something retired isn't cheating at all - take it from someone who is retired - we like to get out once in a while :)

Diane - oliver.mdiane@comcast.net said...

Nance, LOVE this masculine card (my personal challenge) and I've used the cogs many times, but I LOVE how you actually connected them... I can almost see them cycling around and around. VERY clever!

Christina said...

This is an awesome masculine card, Nance! Love those gears and the way you layered them and added the silver dots. A super fabulous card with really challenging colors. Not sure I'll be able to tackle this one!

Nancy said...

Great card Nance, love your placement of the cogs and of course the little silver centers, the inside just finishes it off nicely!

LeAnne said...

This is an AWESOME masculine card! LOVE the colors, too!

Anne Marie Hile said...

Nance, this is uber-cool! Fabulous masculine card, which are always so tough for me for some reason. Love the paper and the Spiral punch for the awesome details you are famous for! Love it! Can't wait to try this challenge! :)

Glenda J said...

Love, love, love this fun and fabulous masculine card!