Pages

Sunday, October 16, 2016

Woodgrain Flourishing Leaves PP317

So, I have a thing about leaves...the colors, the textures, the patterns, the amazing symmetry of nature.  This week I am hostess at The Paper Players and we are celebrating Leaves with a Clean-and-Simple challenge:
It seems as though Clean-and-Simple is all I've got time for lately so this challenge was perfect for another busy week.  Here's my creation:
The hardest part about making this card was deciding the colors and the spacing of the squares!  The card is small notecard sized--just 3.5" x  5"--so the squares needed to be proportional.  I used the 1.25" square punch to pop out squares of Island Indigo, Cajun Craze, Crushed Curry and Always Artichoke.  When I ran them through the Big Shot with the Woodgrain embossing folder, I laid them out as I wanted them on the card.  This allowed the embossed lines to continue seamlessly across the 4 panels.  The leaf stem was cut from Copper Foil paper with a Flourish Thinlit and some Copper Thread wound behind it.  The only stamping is the Early Espresso sentiment from the coordinating Flourishing Phrases stamp set.

I have a bit more stamping to show you, albeit not really clean-and-simple but does feature leaves:
You might remember the Halloween candles I shared with you in this post.  This time I made a fall version that I gave to a friend as a hostess gift for the SU party she booked with me.   I heat embossed some images from the Vintage Leaves set onto vellum cardstock using copper embossing powder and clear embossing powder with Cajun Craze, Old Olive and Rich Razzleberry inks.
Here's a view of the vellum before I wrapped it around the candle.  After all the leaves were stamped and embossed, I stamped the back with the [retired] Dictionary stamp in Crumb Cake.  I am really pleased with how it turned out and my hostess loved it!  I'll have to make a few more in other fall colors, starting to get a little addicted to making them!

So there you have it....two leaf projects...one clean-and-simple and the other, well...not!  Do go check out the inspiration from my friends on the design team at The Paper Players.  We hope you will join us before the challenge closes on Friday, October 21st at Non (PST).  Thanks for stopping by!

The Paper Players Design Team


11 comments:

Hannelie said...

This is beautiful Nance! Love the rich colors and texture. Stunning card!

Linda Callahan said...

Love those textured squares behind your diecut! Beautiful! And yep CAS totally works for me!

Margaret said...

this is cool ~ I want to try this!

Diane - oliver.mdiane@comcast.net said...

Nance very nice and I like the way the embossing lines up on the wood grain. I wouldn't have thought to do it, but very nice CAS card. Your candles are awesome! Love your colors and the subtle script background is fab! I have to have your mom show me before she leaves. I can't believe it's time for her to return to south! Hugs.

Joanne James - The Crafty Owl said...

Love the contrast between the texture of the woodgrain squares and the smooth copper leaf die cut. Beautifully CAS! Love the candle too - what a lucky hostess to have received that as her gift!

laurie said...

This was a fun challenge and the cards in the gallery are excellent...great idea! I love that pretty leaf..such a rich looking card Nance! Pretty candle too!

stampwithsandy said...

A perfect CAS autumn card, Nance! I like how you took the time to be sure the woodgrains were precisely lined up, and that copper die cut leaf is gorgeous. I can't wait to get my hands on that copper foil paper!

Colleen Begley said...

Wow, Nance, this candle thing you've go going is fabulous! I love them. Love your card this week too. So perfectly creative and well thought out on those embossed squares. Love the whole overall look!

Nancy said...

yep, I agree with all the above comments, clean and simply elegant card and gorgeous candle!

Jaydee said...

Nance, I love the texture you created on your card - the woodgrain embossing folder really helps to showcase that fabulous leaf. Your candle projects are fabulous.
Hugs
Jaydee

Claire Broadwater said...

Nance, I must say that candle is GORGEOUS! I love it!
Your card is CAS perfection! I love all the beautiful colors embossed with the woodgrain folder. The copper foil leaf is perfect!
Have a wonderful weekend, My Friend! This was a fantastic challenge! XX