Pages

Sunday, November 13, 2016

Pretty Pines of Festive Color PP321

Happy Sunday, friends!  I hope you're having a great weekend.  This week at The Paper Players our sweet and talented friend Joanne is hosting a color challenge for us:
These colors are so festive together!  Emerald Envy and Mint Macaron complement each other nicely.  I had an idea in my head for these colors but I just couldn't translate it to paper.  Sometimes that happens, right?!  Anyway, here's what I came up with:
 I just love the Christmas Pines stamp set and coordinating Pretty Pines Thinlits.  I also used the Pine Bough Textured embossing folder but in a slightly different way.   I wanted the embossed pine boughs to radiate out from the center sentiment but the way the folder is made the pine bough comes down from the upper left corner.  I cut my card front in half and embossed each half.  Then, I flipped one of  the pieces so the pine bough went in the opposite direction.  I adhered both of  them to a Real Red card base and covered the seam with a piece of [retired] Real Red satin ribbon.  That gave me just the look I wanted with the pine boughs!
I used several dies from the Pretty Pines Thinlits to embellish the sentiment panel.  Even tucked in some Metallic Real Red Thread behind as well.  And speaking of the senitment, did you notice those fabulous Stitched Shapes Framelits?  Newly released by Stampin' Up, I was so excited to receive them this week that I coulnd't wait to use them.  I love the extra detail the stitched edge adds without any extra bulk.  

Before I let you go, I want to share a picture of a special visitor we had to our pond Saturday morning.  I apologize for the poor quality photo--my phone was all that was handy and he was far away--but I think you will recognize his shape:
A Blue Heron paid us a visit and waded around in the pond on our property.  So cool to see him swoop down into the water and then wade around ever so gingerly.  I know you can't see his detail--and I couldn't either--but I could see that he was a beautiful gray-blue color.  I don't know that we have any fish in that pond but there certainly are tons of frogs to keep him fed!
 
That's it for me today...please go check out the lovely inspiration from the rest of our design team over at The Paper Players.  I hope you will join us before our challenge closes on Friday, November 18th at Noon (PST).


14 comments:

Nancy said...

Lovely Christmas card Nance. Aren't you the clever one figuring out the EF to work the way you wanted it. The Pine dies are such pretty colors and the touch of red glitz is perfect, all finished off with the red banner.

Darnell said...

I can almost smell the scent of pine emanating from your pretty card, Nancy! It is a bouquet of Christmas festivity! Thank you for the cool photo share. I looked before I read what it was and found the heron! What a treat!! Hugs, Darnell

Linda Callahan said...

I love all of the pine boughs tucked behind your sentiment! Beautiful......and so is that heron! Wow!

LeAnne said...

THis is beautiful...and reminds me that I have the Pine Bough EF AND HAVEN'T USED IT YET!!!! Oh my gosh, that's what happens when you have too much stuff! Anyway, your trick sounds wonderful and I will have to try it! AND I love your heron! We see them often in my neighbor's pond as well!

Hannelie said...

Beautiful card Nance! I agree with Darnell, about smelling the pine! I will have to smell a palm tree, no pines for 1000's of miles ;)
Hugs

Diane - oliver.mdiane@comcast.net said...

Nance very pretty and I think I really like the mint macaroon with the Emerald Envy. I've been seeing a lot of that combo lately. Love the little peek of sparkle red, and I agree you were very clever to get the EF to work for you, but I probably would have not gone that route.
The blue heron is so pretty standing so still... I did not realize you had a pond on your property!
Hugs

Marisa said...

I had time to cruise blog land today and adore your fabulous winter foliage cluster! Gorgeous use of the colours. We have tons of herons around here - always a surprise when on flies across the highway or road in front of you as you realize just how big they are!!

laurie said...

Wow this is just beautiful! I love that pine cluster...so pretty Nance!!!

Claire Broadwater said...

Nance, what a clever way to use that EF! I love all the pine boughs! I agree with the others! I think I can smell them!!!
That blue heron is just amazing! How wonderful that you captured this special moment! What a beautiful site!
Have a fantastic week, My Friend! XX

stampwithsandy said...

Nance I don't know how you do it, your cards get prettier each week! This is so stunning. The embossed pine boughs in the background are just perfect for your spray of branches, and the touch of glitter is just perfect. Lucky person getting this card!

Jaydee said...

Nance, so envious that you have a pond on your property - what a wonderful experience to be able to share it with such a beautiful creature. Thank you for sharing the photo.

I love your card. The bundle of leaves behind the sentiment, with just the hint of glittery red berries is beautiful and reminds me of some of the festive arrangements I saw in the shops this weekend.
Hugs
Jaydee

Colleen Begley said...

Love the embossed background that you did here. Adds great dimension with the dies over the top and looks fab!

Joanne James - The Crafty Owl said...

Love this Nance! Such a clever way to use the pine embossing folder - it works perfectly and adds even more interest and dimension to your wonderful collection of pines and berries and I love the stitched oval sentiment. Gorgeous!!

Georgiana said...

Super festive with all the pine pieces. I am a new follower. Can't wait to see more.