Pages

Sunday, November 5, 2017

Pretty Pines in Plaid PP369

Hi friends and happy Sunday to you!  There's no denying we're headed into the holiday season now that Halloween is past.  With lovely LeAnne's theme challenge this week at The Paper Players, I couldn't resist the holiday card making any longer!
Pines and pine cones are among my favorite holiday decorations.  Before the tree lots figured out that they could use the scraps for wreaths, I used to pick up the trimmed pieces for free!  I used them everywhere possible in the house and it always smelled wonderful. This challenge kick started my holiday decorating with my favorite Pretty Pines thinlits and a little something different.....
I thought it would be fun to use the negative space of the pine dies and let the pretty plaid paper peek through.  I won't lie...I went through two pieces of cardstock to get the "random" arrangement of pine boughs just right.  "Random" and I don't get along well.... :-) Anyway....with three sizes of pine boughs in the die set, it didn't take as many passes through the big shot as you might imagine.  Once I liked the arrangement, I popped it up with ALOT of dimensionals on top of a Old Olive base that was covered with this pretty plaid from the Merry Little Christmas DSP. What didn't photograph well, is the liberal brushing of Wink of Stella all over the white panel.  It really makes the pine boughs sparkle!
The sun was really bright when I snapped these shots but I think you can see the sparkle from the black Glimmer paper I used to die cut the pine cone.  I tried a few black glimmer pine boughs but in the end, simple silver thread bow was just enough.
I mimicked the pattern of the front on the inside of the card with some pine bough stamped in Old Olive from the Christmas Pines set.  The lovely pine cone and sentiment are from the same set and stamped in black Memento ink.  

Thanks for stopping by today, friends!  Be sure to check out the rest of the awesome holiday pine creations my teammates created over at The Paper Players.  I hope you'll join us before our challenge closes on Friday November 10th at Noon (PST).
 
The Paper Players Design Team 

8 comments:

laurie said...

So pretty and so creative Nance! Love the look using the negative space. Great card for the holidays!!!

Jaydee said...

Nance, I so agree with you about the smell of pine in the house in winter. It really is wonderful - as is your card! I love the pinecone against the green sentiment layer and all that lovely white space really shows off your pine branches. Fabulous card
hugs
jaydee

LeAnne said...

Beautiful way to highlight those pines....I love the plaid peeking through, as well as the glimmer paper pine cone!! And of course, you always do such a lovely job on the insides of your cards as well!!!

Jan Clothier said...

I love the way you've used the negative cuts to create the card front! Clever idea! The little glimmery pine cone is just lovely. As always, a lovely creation.

Claire Broadwater said...

Oh Nance, this is so FUN! I love the way you used the negative space and the plaid paper! So creative! Your inside is gorgeous, too! Just WOW! I hope you are having a wonderful week, My Friend! XX

Diane - oliver.mdiane@comcast.net said...

Nance this is so cool! Look the peek-a-boo color for the pine needles coming through from the yummy plaid green/black DSP. The little pine cone is a finishing touch! Hugs.

Annie S. said...

Brilliant using the negative so that gorgeous DSP peeks through! Such a pretty card and your memory of picking up trimmings rings so true. I also used to "trim" the neighbor's tree but don't tell them 😉

3treescreations@gmail.com said...

Haha - yes random can sometimes be harder then it looks! Beautiful card - LOVE that black shimmer paper!!!